Aug 14, 2009

Rain




"The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

It's raining today. Finally. We've waited for what seems like an eternity. But it has finally broken through the teasing clouds, and quenched us. The grass has sprung back to a shade of green I haven't seen since May. The flowers are no longer dusty and sad-looking. The ducks are converging on my yard, thinking that there is a new lake in town.

We are getting an exorbitant amount of rain. There is an extreme rainfall warning for a town about 40min away - but we are handling it okay. Except for the local business who is pumping out its underground parking lot...

It has been a busy day nonetheless. I took the kittens to the vet for their one-year shots. I tried not to cry. *face turning red in shame that I am such a sap* We got home unscathed (although the vet almost lost his hand - Dexter was not amused with him for some reason) and I made some shortbread cookies and put on a pot of tea. It feels like Fall today. Slippers on, sweater draped over my shoulder...now where is that box of Autumn decorations... Tomato soup for lunch with crackers. Comfort food.

Flipping through the new "Country Gardens Magazine." I had to pick it up because it had pumpkins on the front - of course. It's so-so, but there is a Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe in there that may be worth the cover price, all on it's own. I'll try it, and if it's half as good as it looks, I'll post the recipe.
Must take some time to meditate later, as I hit the ground running this morning. 

In closing, and in the spirit of this rainy day, I offer you this Irish Blessing:
"May you always have walls for the winds, a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire, laughter to cheer you, those you love near you and all your heart might desire."

2 comments:

Faeriely Odd Witches said...

I love this post on rain~ and how timely I pay you a little visit.. its raining outside my window right now.. I'm loving it!
Blessings Mori`

Free2bfree said...

I love those Irish Blessings!

Glad the furry kids did okay at the vet's office ... and that the vet survived Dexter. Looking forward to a great pumpkin cheesecake recipe!