Jan 14, 2010

Kali


As the waning moon finally makes it's way to dark tomorrow, I am planning a small ritual to honour Kali.

Many people shy away from her and her strong personality, but she seems to have found me, and I have given up resisting her.

She is depicted usually standing over her mate Shiva with a necklace of heads and a skirt of arms. In two of her hands are the sword of Knowlege, and the head of the demon Ignorance. She is known also the great Mother and protector, and teaches us that when we release our fears and ego, great knowledge and peace can be ours.

There is a line of thought that says that the heads that form her necklace are from people who willingly gave themselves up to her. A personal sacrifice. Those who were willing to let go of their own agendas and egos, and move on. And so she is the Goddess of the triumph over death (endings) and the new beginnings that come after.

I really find that when I'm going through changes and leaving one thought or pathway behind for another, Kali is my guiding force. She encourages me not to hold on to what's gone before, to release what doesn't serve me, and to move on to the 'new life' ahead.

I'm looking forward to this meditation tomorrow, and the waxing moon that will follow. I'm ready for some forward movement!

19 comments:

TMCPhoto said...

We, that is the husband and I invoked Kali during the blue moon as part of a ritual to release all the negatives from 2009 and to open a door to a new beginning in 2010. We asked her to help us release what wasn't working, to sever all the bad things that had happened to us so that only what was useful from those bad things could follow us and to hold open the gateway to our new beginning.

It was the most powerful personal ritual I have done to date. Kali seems to be popping up everywhere for me these days which I am taking as a sign that I need her, so I've welcomed her in.

His Precious said...

I think Kali calls to me...A LOT! Anyways, thanks for your comment on my post today....I laughed out loud!

Blessings!

mxtodis123 said...

Love your post here on Kali. I am looking forward to hearing about your meditation tomorrow.
Mary

Emme Toaye said...

Very interesting information about Kali, I'll have to read up a little to see if that is where my inspiration lies for a new project I am working on.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Kali is a daunting Goddess for us in the West, but in India people absolutely adore Her. ADORE her! We need to cultivate that kind of understanding too.

D.Suplicki said...

Kali is often such a misunderstood goddess, I'm so happy that you posted about her clothes and armaments. I've always had a soft place in my heart for her, myself. :)

Laura said...

I've always loved Kali and I love your post.
blessings
~*~

Mother's Moon's Message said...

loved your post... and like others before look forward to your reflection you the meditation... I could not agree with you more in regards to the forward movement....

MarZel said...

Thank you for your post...I agree, Kali is misunderstood! It is so great when you find a positive post...

Lisa Joy said...

I know people are afraid of the fierceness that she is, but I just love her to pieces! I was having doubts about my path (prior to adjusting my practices to IndoPaganism), and then she came & "bitch slapped" me with signs until I got the hint ;) Hehe. That is totally what I would do.

VintageSage said...

I seem to bend more towards Shiva when I need to overcome my obstacles but I don't think I have ever given Kali much of a chance. Great post!!

xoxo

faerwillow said...

~in light of the new moon may you find yourself moving as you wish onward and upward and most of all forward in the direction you are seeking...lovely post...brightest blessings~

spiritualmother said...

Love Kali, once dressed up as her for halloween! Thanks for your post!

motheralice said...

I love Kali. Fearsome and strong are not usually valued very highly as qualities women should aspire to in general society, but I think it would simplify things considerably if they were. Good luck with your meditation, and moving on....

Wendy said...

Yes, Kali is amazing and awesomely powerful. Here is a post I did on her a little while ago: http://thekorachronicles.blogspot.com/2009/07/goddess-kali.html

The Frog Queen said...

Thank you for that post. I really needed to hear what you are saying....funny how things find you when you need them. :)

Cheers!

TMC said...

I love the strong feminine divine! The fiercer, the better.

Bridgett said...

That's awesome! Do you consider her your patron Goddess then?

I think Kali is a fascinating Goddess.

Good for you. :)

)O(
boo

Tarot cards said...

very nice blog. I just bookmarked your blog.