Feb 21, 2011

What's In A Name?


There is no reason for this picture - taken in Fairmont, BC, Canada, other than the fact that I appreciate a business with a good name.  I appreciate one with a questionable name too.

Take yesterday for example.  I decided to chuck all on my to-do list and head to the next town where there is a labrynth, and take a stroll.  Upon finishing my medatative walk, I happened by their local cafe, named "Cafe Nevermatters."  Hmm..  What does this mean?  Leave your matters at the door?  Coffee doesn't actually matter?  (Which I heartily disagree with!) 

I think "Nevermatters" is actually a play on words because the town's name sounds close to this - but does it send the right message when you are essentially advertising that your coffee stop is pointless?  Regardless, I'm not one to thumb my nose at caffine - so I'll stop in next time I come for a labrynth visit and get the story while ordering my cinnamon latte.

I'll let you know what I find out.

PS - sorry to Ms. Smirk, who originally won the Garden Dreaming Giveaway, but you didn't contact me and there was no way for me to contact you.  I redrew the names, and the new winner is: Jennifer at "From Barren to Bountiful!"  Congrats!  Please email me at RueAndHyssop (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll get the prize in the mail to you.

12 comments:

Buccaneers and Ball Gowns said...

Haha that sign is awesome!

RetroKali said...

maybe it is run by hippies....hippies always have crazy names for things. :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

No pictures of the labyrinth? Too bad!

P.S. I love Fairmont! My Rare One and I once had a dirty weekend there while cavorting at the hot springs.

mxtodis123 said...

What an unusual name. I like it. Please be sure to let us know more. Toad's hole is unusual as well...and not very appetizing.
Mary

Lois said...

Love, love, love labyrinths. My 14 year old and I have a date in spring to walk the one in downtown toronto, behind the Eaton Centre. There is also one in the church across the road from where i live. I need to walk that one... :) Lois

the wild magnolia said...

Congratulations to the new Garden Dreamer winner, Jennifer from "Barren to Bountiful".

I love catchy names, be it restaurants, cafes, shoppes or bookstores, animals or peoples.

Wishing you a fine day!

Blessings.

Wrenn said...

I would have had to ask about the name while I was ordering. I wouldn't have been able to help myself!

Sarah Sullivan said...

Giggle snort..love the frog one too!! Wonderful post! T=How are ya hon??
Sarah :)

Dede said...

I love unique signs and names for business. They are so much easier to remember. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

(((HUGS)))

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

Aw, another BC garden blogger - hello! Gosh, I haven't been to Fairmont in ages but the last time I was there it was a blast - wonderful memories!!!

Anonymous said...

What a funny name for a coffee shop! I can't wait to here the story on that one.

Deedee said...

Maybe it "Never matters" why or when you stop in, as long as you do! LOVE the name, Toad Hole Cafe-the frog looks like the one from the old Warner Bros. cartoons.