Aug 12, 2011

Wherever the Summer Takes Me


I've been wandering of late (us Wanderers often do.)  Meandering here and there, never lingering for too long...always something on the next horizon.  It makes for spotty blogging, unfortunately, but it does lend to having little tastes of many things - which is not only how I like to eat, but how I like to live.

I used to be embarrassed that I knew a little about so many things, but never specialized in one area.  I've always felt a bit under-educated, even though I spent a few years in college, because I didn't have a degree or a specific field of interest to speak about.  I've also mourned in myself, a lack of the "go-getter" gene.  I don't attack projects with wild abandon.  I don't go after something with all that I am, until I get what I want. 

I'm a mosey-er.  I linger.  I check out other options.  I take the less-travelled path, but also the one that's not so steep, if I can help it.  I'm like a distracted child - looking at this flower, asking a ton of questions, touching and smelling and tasting, and napping often.

It's frustrating for those people who don't linger, to deal with me.  My parents are "get the job done now" people.  I'd rather chase the cats around now, and get the job done later.  I'm not irresponsible by any means.  I go to work, I meet my deadlines, I show up when I say I will.  I just tend to leave most "have-to's" until the last possible minute to leave room for the "look at that's!"

It makes for a small life.  "Making it big" is not on my agenda.  Unless I win the lottery or stumble upon buried treasure while foraging plants in the forest, you likely won't ever see my picture in the newspaper.  But it's a sweet life.  I can tell you where there are wild strawberries growing in the hills nearby.  I can tell you the best place to get a Tandoori chicken panini.  I know an area near the ocean where the pumpkin fields go on for miles.  I know a winery with a hidden patio, that will sit you at a little bistro table and bring their wines to you to taste while you sit in the shade. 

I have projects that need working on.  A garden that needs weeding.  A pile of sticky notes with book titles, websites and other notes of interest that needs organizing.  I have herbs drying that will soon need to be put away in jars, fruit ripening that needs to be jammed, road trips not taken, a stack of books not yet read.  But everything will still be there tomorrow. 

Today, I'll just see where the Summer takes me.


12 comments:

HappyCrone said...

and you are enjoying life soooooo much more than those that are so focused on one thing that they don't see anything else....Jen, we are soooooo alike!!! I get sidetracked soooooooooo easily!!

Leanne said...

ahhh best way to live! You have a gift with words.
Love Leanne

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Makes me think of that old nursery rhyme: "Goosey, goosey, gander / Whither do you wander? / Upstairs, downstairs / In my lady's chamber." Gee, I just wandered back to my childhood!

Judy said...

Sounds wonderful...enjoy...

mermaid gallery said...

whenever i go to the city i always look around and think.....maybe i should be busier...they are all speeding around engaged in the eternal rat race....then i come home and sigh....isn't this little piece of country lovely...all quiet and serene....lots of interests are the sign of an inquisitive mind and a happy spirit...beats racing the clock any day....

Wizardess said...

Good idea!

Mrs BC said...

Beautiful post. People who rush around being so busy all of the time could never tell you about strawberrys or pumpkin fields or hidden patios.
x

Carolyn said...

This is why people like me have friends like you. Everyone needs someone to remind them of the beauty of our world so they can slow down and enjoy it. Thank you for being that person for me.

Free2bfree said...

Sounded a bit like you were talking about me ..... especially these days! LOL (((((JEN)))

Nicky Price said...

Sounds a lot like me. Almost everyone I know seems to have that 'go-getter' gene, makes me feel lazy. I get distracted so easily. Tidying my room takes a whole day because I get distracted by an old notebook or a crystal I thought I lost or my favourite book when I was 6. xD

My Mum just can't understand it. ^^

Good to know there's someone else out there that feels the same way.

Have fun noticing the details. :)

Jennifer said...

That's a beautiful way to live, and I'm right there with you! Enjoy life....you're just right the way you are!!!

Mother Moon said...

I understand all too well.. I like the previous comment in regards to that is just enjoying life.. I have to agree.. I like to think people like us, get a bit more sometimes from life because of our "wandering" we venture onto many things that most dont get to see.. And so many times these little moments hold precious blessings... continue to be you.. we would not want you any other way..