Feb 17, 2011

Spring & Taxes


Walking in the yard yesterday, I noticed something of a rather striking green colour poking out of one of the raised garden beds.  Turns out that a stray onion had been missed in last Fall's harvest, and is sending up a little shoot.  I was happy to see him, but warned him of the Spring frosts and suggested he take another nap.   Either way, it seems the earth is slowly waking up. 

Yesterday was a sunny day and I got a good, long walk in.  A few of the horses in the field have been corralled now, so I imagine they are going to have their babies at any time.  It's so much fun watching the foals run around the field once they are let out to pasture again!

In the meantime, my tax deadlines loom.  For a bookkeeper this is the least fun time of year.  To keep from going completely nuts, I've been having Friday morning breakfasts with a group of girls that work at the store I bookkeep for.  Let me tell you - starting your day with pancakes or a great omelette and a few laughs can cure a host of ills!

Also on my "Tackle Tax-Time Without Totally Losing It" list:

~Wine.  Okay - wine is on every list I make.  Or Daiquiris.  But this is what I'm drinking now - my brother's Reisling, from Hillside Estate Winery.

~Perusing seed catalogues and doing drive-by's at the garden center to see if they have spring flowers out yet.

~Working with a new Tarot deck.  Although I love my Halloween Tarot and use it year round, I'm feeling like I need something a little lighter for the Spring.  I'm using the Mystic Faerie Tarot right now, and enjoying the pretty imagery.

~Eating far too many peanut butter M&M's.  Perhaps not a healthy way of dealing with work-stress, but having a bowl on my desk keeps me from tearing apart anyone who comes near my office this time of year. 

Things are actually going pretty smoothly thus far (knock on wood) so hopefully by March I'll be back to my regular work routine.

Also, a note to Ms. Smirk of Under the Autumn Moon:  there doesn't seem to be a way to contact you, even though you have a Blogger profile.  Please get a hold of me by the weekend, or I'll have to draw another name for the Garden Dreaming Giveway.  Thanks!



 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

peanut M&Ms and wine might make a yummy combo...just make sure you take the candy home instead taking the wine to work ;) Although.... that certainly would ensure a happy book keeper!

Hope tax season isn't too horrible this year for you. Keep dreaming of wonderful Spring and your garden.

mermaid gallery said...

A few laughs always help, as do m&m's...but at the end of the day....it's the wine that really works! Spring is on it's way and the tax deadline will be over soon......Enjoy the wine!

Jeanne said...

How delightful the first green of Spring is...

Walks, Laughter and some good chocolate always calm the nerves and put a brighter perspective on Life. :0)

Anonymous said...

Our neighbor raises horses and every year there are 3 - 4 new foals born. They are just the sweetest little things.

Ah, wine, seed catalogs and tarot; past times of the gods.

Really? Can you eat too many peanut butter M&M's? I thought it was a rule for all bookkeepers at tax time to go limitless on these.

Dede said...

Peanut butter M&M's? Oh yummy! Have to check them out this weekend, have to have the protein you know. Funny George found an onion in the yard last weekend. Spring is on its way and I am looking forward to it. Hope that the tax season is over quickly for you.

(((HUGS)))

ONe PiNK FiSH said...

I got the Paulina deck at Christmas time and I love it. Her illustrations are full of whimsy and magic. You should check it out. I got the deck fro about $13 which was another plus.

VintageSage said...

I cannot wait for Spring!!! Except for the taxes part. Ugh...it's always so tedious to get taxes done even when someone else does them. I have no clue why I have that frame of mind. :) The fairy tarot deck yuo have is so beautiful. Hope that your tax season goes smoothly Jen! Oh and thank you for the advise. :))

Ponderosa Pagan said...

Awww yes my onions are coming up as well and today it snowed. I was hoping that we were going to get a nearly spring, but as my partner said it was a false spring. I wished them well this morning and hope they will survive.
Hopefully you will get to put some pics of the foals up. I love the happiness they exude.

Nicky Price said...

Aww, you gotta love those little foals with their long, gangly legs and awkward gait. :)

Good luck for the tax season, eat lots of m&m's! x