Jun 19, 2011

Farmers Market Recipe - Rhubarb Muffins!


My farmers market trip yesterday was very short-lived but I did manage to get my hands on some fresh rhubarb.  The rhubarb in the garden is still young, so finding the one booth at the market with bunches of the tart stalks was a bonus.

I am actually not a rhubarb fan.  At all.  I don't like rhubarb pie (with or without strawberries.)  I don't like rhubarb jam.  And I'm a bit snappish about the amount of space the plant takes up in the garden.  Having said that, these muffins that my mom makes are one of the best things I've ever tasted.  It could be the cake-like texture of the muffins, or more likely the brown-sugar topping.  Whatever it is - I'm sold on these perfect muffins!


Super Simple Rhubarb Muffins
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
Makes 12-18 muffins depending on the size of your  muffin tin.

1/2 cup butter
(as stated in other recipes, I use salted butter *gasp* so add a pinch of salt if you use unsalted.)
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
2 cups sliced/diced rhubarb
1 and 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter and sugar; add egg.  Mix sour cream and baking soda together in a small bowl and add to butter/sugar/egg mixture.  Mix in flour.  Stir in vanilla and the rhubarb.  Fill muffin tin 3/4 full of batter.  Sprinkle with brown sugar topping.

Brown Sugar Topping:
Crumble together with a fork:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Once you make these incredible muffins, they will be a favourite of yours too!

12 comments:

Kallista said...

Thanks for the recipe!
I've only tasted rhubarb once, in some cakes a friend made and it was delish. Was going to look into some recipes and your came in perfect timing :) Going to give this a go this week!

C said...

oh yum thats one to try when my rhubarb grows up lol like you mine is still young just planted this year :) mmmm i can almost smell them now hmmmm

the wild magnolia said...

The rhubarb is so lush and beautiful. The recipe, I must try!

Thank you for sharing!

mxtodis123 said...

I used to love Rhubarb pie when I was a kid. Haven't had it in years.
Mary

TMCPhoto said...

I'm not a rhubarb fan either but I have had a few desserts here and there that were quite tasty. I'd prefer someone else bake them though and save my garden space for raspberries.

Lois said...

I harvested a pile of ruhbarb yesterday and made a crisp. Yum. I don't mind the space it takes up, at least it comes year after year. On Friday at the market I picked up some lamb sausage and some fragrant puple Kale.

Hailey Marie said...

I've never had rhubarb in anything other than a strawberry-rhubarb crumble (which was amazing).

I'll have to try out the muffins!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

well now...i have been searching for a recipe for rhubarb bread...but THIS is what I'll make...these muffins look wonderful...love the crunchy topping too

:-)

happy to stop by today

kary and teddy

FreeWitch said...

Oh this recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing it.

The Traveler said...

I'm not a big rhubarb fan either, but this recipe sounds yummers I'll have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

These muffins sound delicious! Thank you.

Bogaman said...

Sounds edible;) Not a fan of rhubarb, but might try that. X.