Feb 3, 2013

Arise, February!

"When Candlemas came around, old Jack Poirier would go outside and look.  If the weather was fine he'd say 'clear sky, clear field.'  That meant there wouldn't be a good crop." 
- Alyre Landry (Notre-Dame, New Brunswick) *



I hope Groundhog Day, Imbolc, Candlemas or simply February's entrance, was wonderful for you.  We are still celebrating here.  There are a couple Imbolc celebrations happening in The Valley today, but I'm not feeling like making the drive north, so I'm hauling all my winter greens to my fire bowl in the back yard.  I'll be smelling like fir and pine smoke before the day is out, and hopefully some of that warmth will melt a bit of the snow still firmly holding its grip over the lawn and gardens.


"They used to say that if the skunk saw his shadow before 10 o'clock on that day, the weather would be bad for 40 days.  If he didn't see his shadow, they'd say 'winter's back is broken.' 
- Ronald Martin (Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska, New Brunswick) *


On the topic of weather (and weather prediction,) both Punxsutawney Phil and Ontario's Wiarton Willie predicted an early spring this year.  While not all groundhogs agree, I'm going with Phil and Will.  I'm checking my stock of sweet and snap peas and watching the ground.  I'll have at least one raised garden bed sown by month end, if I have my way.

Candlemas Day, stick beans in the clay.  (old wives saying)

The celebrations of February have not finished yet.  The Year of the Snake begins on February 10th when the Chinese New Year hits.  And for those that take part in the massive pink and red love fest that is Valentine's Day, you have about ten more days to get your chocolate marshmallow hearts on.

For me, this month, the most happiness comes when the bulbs finally break through the earth.  Cory tossed out this song snippet today and now all I can think of is daffodils.


"Arise, my love! Arise, my love!

Apollo's lighting the skies, my love
The meadows shine with columbine
And daffodils blossom away"
("What Do The Simple Folk Do" by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe)



May the sunshine find you and the ground stir beneath your feet!




*Quotes via Georges Arsenault, Acadian Traditions on Candlemas Day.
Photos from Creative Commons and linked to sources.

8 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

A fine February post. Arise, February! I love that.

Tilda E. said...

Love that song snippet! I hope to get my peas in the ground within the next couple of weeks as well. And some other vegetables started indoors. Meanwhile, still perusing the seed catalogs...:)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love the songs of Camelot! Imbolc blessings to you, Rue!

Jennifer said...

I found a clump of daffodils at my house the other day, and blogged about it. One of my favorite flowers!

Arise, daffodils!!!

Robin Larkspur said...

Oh thoughts of spring and breaking ground, flowers blooming! Wishing you good luck in getting the peas planted!
I love your final sentence about the sun shining and the ground stirring!

Betty said...

Snow has finally come to us in WV. I hope you had a Very Blessed Imbolic.

Dede said...

February has brought some very chilly, no down right cold weather with it. Goodness, it is so pretty and when you walk out that door, you are quickly coming right back in for that jacket. The tulips are so pretty in the store yesterday, just gorgeous! So looking forward to spring. Blessings to you Jen!

(((HUGS)))

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I, too, am with Phil and Will!

Big Imbolc blessings to you and have a wonderful February!